‘Southmead Development Trust works to support the local community by managing projects and partnerships that benefit local residents.’
At Southmead Development Trust, our West of England team is keen to work with participants that have mental health concerns, are ex-offenders and/or are recovering from alcohol or drug addictions. Some of our activities and services include:
- Vocational and pre-vocational support including consideration of what type of work or activity would fit into and add to a participant’s life
- Coaching and mentoring for building self-esteem and focusing on vocational development
- Advice and assistance searching for possible voluntary positions and work placements
- Job application help
- Interview techniques and practice
- Assistance throughout the recruitment process, including negotiating reasonable adjustments if necessary utilising advice from partners and knowledge in the team.
We’re based at the Greenway Centre, a vibrant community centre in Southmead. Our base here provides us with a unique opportunity to draw upon all the resources and expertise on projects base alongside us. This includes the fitness team, youth workers, social prescribers and café staff trained to support volunteers. Our team includes an occupational therapist with experience working in mental health and learning disabilities, an ex-supported housing worker experienced in working with ex-offenders and a trained counsellor with experience working with people recovering from addictions.
We’ll work with you to understand and address the varied barriers you might face on your journey to employment. Support you receive will be based on your needs and goals (we don’t believe in a one-size-fits-all service) and you’ll have opportunities to explore your interests, boost your confidence and gain skills in areas relevant to you. We’re also able to cover some expenses, including travel, childcare and costs involved around work activities – such as new clothes for interviews.
Get in Touch
Referrals should be made to the West of England Works team and you can contact us on our office number, 0117 950 3335. Referrals can be made by partner organisations or by self-referral. You can also drop in if that is easier for you.